Sunday 2 October 2011

Root Beer Bundt Cake


Root beer is one of my favourite soft drinks. In fact, it's probably the only soft drink I like so when I saw this on cupcake crazy's blog, I immediately bookmarked it. It reminds me of my childhood as I used to drink root beer floats (which were probably bad for my health!).  I'm so glad I finally got round to making it. It really tastes of rootbeer with a lovely moist texture and it kept well for days afterwards. Did you know that root beer is made using the root of a sassafras plant?






113g butter
220g flour
2.5 cups root beer (I used A&W root beer)
125g cocoa powder
57g chocolate, chopped
225g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
280g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Preheat the oven to 160C. 
  • Butter and flour a Bundt pan.
  • Heat 2 cups of root beer, chocolate and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted. 
  • Add the caster sugar and brown sugar and whisk until dissolved.
  • Remove from the heat and allow to cool. 
  • Combine flour, baking powder, all spice powder and salt in a bowl. 
  • Whisk the eggs into the root beer mixture.
  • Gently fold in the dry ingredients.
  • Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour. 
  • Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup root beer over the cake.
  • Leave to cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then invert the cake and allow to cool completely. 
  • To make the glaze: 
  • Whisk remaining 1/4 cup root beer with a pinch of salt, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. 
  • Drizzle over the cake when cooled. 

12 comments:

  1. I love bundt cakes I've just down one too! They look so cute too I think, I love the idea of cakes that remind you of your childhood!

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you made it and loved it too!! We ate ours for days afterwards too and I was amazed at how moist and delicious it still was like you said! Your glaze turned out way better than mine, it looks awesome...I can't remember what I did but I might have been a bit over enthusiastic with the liquid so then I added tons of icing sugar to try and rescue it, it wasn't the best idea! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look absolutely delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bundt cakes! I would have never thought root beer. cool!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the flavor of root beer and I love bundt cakes. This recipe sounds like delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not crazy for root beer but I must admit that thus cake really does look good! I must get myself a Bundt tin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just imagine the delicious sticky sweet flavour, I love the icing drizzling down the side. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bundt cake! I don't think I've ever actually had a root beer - must try one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun concept for a cake! You know what I miss? Cream sodas and Dr Brown sodas. I must make sure to have my share when I visit my parents in the winter.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh great minds think alike! I just opened up a bottle of root beer and thought how good it would be in a cake! Yours looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...the dripping icing on the cake looks very irresistible! With the addition of root beer...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Informative post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the company. The education app development company specializes in creating innovative and impactful mobile applications tailored to the needs of educational institutions, e-learning platforms, and edtech startups. With a team of dedicated developers and designers, they possess a deep understanding of the evolving educational landscape and the power of technology in enhancing learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!