Sunday 20 May 2012

Gluten Free Millionaire Shortbread



Did you know that this week 14th - 20th May 2012 is Coeliac UK Awareness Week? Coeliac disease is an autoimmune disease.  Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye triggers an immune reaction in people with coeliac disease. This means that eating gluten damages the lining of the small intestine. it affects approximately 1 in 100 people in the UK so the chances are you will know someone that has coeliac disease or be affected yourself. 

I know quite a few people who are gluten intolerant so I have tried quite a few gluten free recipes.  This time, I wanted to take a well known recipe and make it gluten-free in the spirit of the Gluten-Free Challenge 




I chose Millionaire Shortbread as I've never made it before and I love the name of it. I have to admit I cheated slightly by using canned caramel but you can of course make your own from scratch. These are really quick and simple to make and tasted really good. My colleague who has Coeliac disease really enjoyed them as did everyone else. I love the crunch from the polenta which had a grainy, crumbly texture and worked really well with the caramel and chocolate. 

As this recipe contains chocolate and almonds, I am entering them to We Should Cocoa, run by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from Chocolate Teapot.  This month, it is hosted by Laura from How to Cook Good Food and the theme is almonds.



 I found this bag of polenta from an Asian grocery store (as well as the amazing rose essence). 

 Polenta shortbread ready to go in the oven 

 Once cooked and cooled, spread caramel on top... 

 then melted chocolate and chill in the fridge

 slice... 

... and enjoy! 
Anyone has any tips on how to get neat, perfect squares? I chilled mine overnight but the chocolate layer kept cracking as I was slicing! 


200g ground almonds
250g ground polenta
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
1 can of caramel (or you can make your own)
200g dark chocolate

(I would recommend halving the shortbread recipe if you want a more even slice as this recipe makes a lot of shortbread!)
  • Preheat oven to 170C.
  • In a large bowl, mix the ground almonds, polenta and sugar until well combined.
  • Add the butter and rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  • Press into a baking tray evenly.
  • Use a fork to prick holes in the dough.
  • Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until cooked.
  • Melt 200g chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or in a microwave (make sure not to burn the chocolate!)
  • Spread a layer of caramel on top of the cooled shortbread.
  • Add a layer of melted chocolate.
  • Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
  • Slice into squares and enjoy!



33 comments:

  1. oh Ros Look amazing and thi caramel are tempting!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luuurve that gorgeous layer of gooey caramel! It's early in the morning where I am at the moment and now I just want one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh the caramel...ooh the chocolate...drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great gluten free recipe to have. I don;t know anyone who doesn't love Millionaire's Shortbread. I have made it myself before and had a complete nightmare cutting it into neat squares. My caramel and chocolate split and cracked and looked terrible even though it tasted good. So if you find a way of cutting it neatly please let me know!
    Thanks so much for entering We Should Cocoa this month!
    Laura@howtocookgoodfood
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A twitter friend told me today to try using a hot knife. I'll have to make this again to test it out!

      Delete
  5. I’m so glad you shared this recipe with us

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning a gluten free bake myself. This looks wonderful! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely! I love millionaire slices! I like the idea of gluten free too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to have chocolate and caramel in a gluten free dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the look of the gooey caramel center flowing out of these slices... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOO MMMYYYYY GOOOOSSSSHHH!!!

    look at how huge they are!1 I need one right now please, mmmmm amazing

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a bit over zealous with the shortbread and portion sizes!

      Delete
  11. You sure rose to the occasion, Ros! You did a GREAT job! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, it's so good to have you back :)

      Delete
  12. I made quite a lot of them last summer at work and I found freezing it first then made it easy to achieve perfectly sliced pieces! This is a great gluten free bake - you can buy polenta at most large supermarkets too just so you know, we buy ours at Asda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them in supermarkets but I happened to be at the Asian grocery store at the time. I bought rice flour too but havent decided what to make with it yet!

      Delete
  13. Hi BA, what a fantastic idea, making shortbread out of polenta - I'm so curious as to the flavour, but it most be wonderful, and the consistency looks spot on!

    For the chocolate on top - when I make millionaire's shortbread or flapjacks, I never use "neat" chocolate on top for specifically the reason that a) it's a huge pain to cut, and b) when eating, if you take a bite it squishes down and shoots out caramel over your fingers :D! I find, if you make a stiff ganache - mostly chocolate, but with a good dash of cream too, and some butter to make a shiny surface for the chocolate, then you have something which will be firm when chilled, and still firm at room temperature when fully set, but will cut very easily without cracking at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The texture is crumbly and grainy and it's not too sweet. I would recommend trying it. Thanks for the tip about the chocolate coating - will have to try that next time!

      Delete
  14. Not made this with polenta before but as you know I am a big fan! You can also make with gluten free flour and 1 tsp of xanthum gum if you want a normal shortbread and it is not too crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I quite like the texture of polenta but I know it's not for everyone as it's a bit grainy and sandy. I also bought some rice flour which I will be experimenting with soon.

      Delete
  15. LOL i love the name of these shortbread Ros :) Never thought of using Polenta for desserts ~ yummy I know so many people are gluten intolerant lately :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the name millionaire shortbread too :) It's my first time using polenta in a sweet bake and it definitely works!

      Delete
  16. What a brilliant idea Ros. They look fantastic, cracked chocolate or no. Great gluten free shortbread which I'm now going to have to try. Thanks for entering them into WSC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so pleased it worked out. You might want to use fine polenta for a finer texture but I like the grainy texture :)

      Delete
  17. freezing first as someone else said is the way to perfect squares also a thin bladed serrated knife with a pointed tip helps.

    made these today and finished the top with an "artistic" squiggle of melted white chocolate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try freezing it first next time! Hope you enjoyed these :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!