Saturday 5 May 2012

Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Brownies


I made these brownies for Caroline's birthday party together with the shoe cupcakes and peanut butter cupcakes. She made cake, cupcakes, brownies, macarons and party food so you can imagine there was a lot of food!! I recently made a trip to Asda as I passed one on my way home from visiting a friend. I don't normally shop at Asda as it's not the closest supermarket to me. I was really impressed with their baking range. They also have quite a lot of American goodies such as this Hersheys Cookies 'n' creme chocolate bar. I also bought some marshmallow fluff but have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet!

This is very timely as one of my favourite bloggers Cupcake Crazy Gem has started a new monthly blogging challenge called United Bakes of America. Each month, she is going to bake a recipe from the United Bakes of America cookbook inspired by a state in America. You can join in by baking from the same book or any American recipe book or baking with an American ingredient or baking a recipe inspired by a state favourite. I already have a few ideas for next month :) 

Back to these brownies. I used the same recipe as the mint oreo fudge brownies substituting the Hershey bars for the mint oreos. The brownies I made previously were fudgy, moist and delicious so I thought it would work well with cookies 'n' creme. I didn't actually get to try a piece but I have been reliably informed that they were delicious!  



 The key ingredient 

 Mixing into the brownie mix 

 I sprinkled a few pieces on top.... 

 ... which were then slightly burnt so not a great idea! 

 Looks delicious!! 




200g butter, chopped into smallish cubes
375g sugar
170g chocolate, roughly chopped
165g flour
80g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 x 100g bars of Hershey's cookies 'n' creme chocolate, roughly chopped


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a medium sized pan, melt the butter and chocolate.
  • Then whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. 
  • Continue mixing until you get a smooth mixture then remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
  • Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then the flour and cocoa powder until you get a fudgy mixture as shown. 
  • Stir in the Hershey's chocolate, reserving some to sprinkle on top (optional)
  • Pour the mixture into a square baking pan and if you want you can sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate on top (warning it will brown!) 
  • Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is crisp and the edges are cooked. 
  • Allow to cool in the pan. 
  • Slice and enjoy!


31 comments:

  1. what can I say? delicious and amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish. Would love to have a bite :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) I will have to make them again so I can actually try some :)

      Delete
  3. Hershey's cookies and cream + brownies. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brownies and these look great. Haven't tried Cookies and Cream Hersheys but these certainly look perfect for Gem's challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to try them - they are really good :)

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of a cream layer in a brownie! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now this is what I'm talking about!! Those brownies look so fudgy and I can imagine that cream layer would just cut through them perfectly to create a balance of creaminess and richness!! Funnily enough despite hating all Hershey's chocolate, the cookies and cream variety is the one type I don't mind and will eat and in these brownies it seems positively delish! Thanks so much for joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting a fabulous challenge. I'm not too keen on normal Hershey's chocolate either but I really like the cookies 'n' creme!

      Delete
  7. So squidgy, fudgey and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! These brownies look heavenly delicious! And what a great challenge but too bad I don't have that many American cookbook. Most of mine are French! Anyway I would love to try this awesome recipes for my boys! They'll be trilled! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your boys will enjoy these! You can use normal chocolate or oreo cookies or even nuts. You can still join the challenge without an American cookbook - just use an American ingredient like I did here :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ros, Just baked this goodies with normal chocolates & OMG! it's really delicious! My boys adore it! Next week my sons would love to try the oreo version coz they're baking next week! LOL Great recipe indeed & thanks again for the info of the challenge. Will certainly do that! Have anice day, Ros! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad your sons liked the brownies - it's a really good recipe and will work well with oreos which are American hint hint :)

      Delete
  9. These were absolutely amazing, I'm sorry you went to all this effort and didn't even get to try them! I'm definitely stealing this recipe and making them myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they tasted good... I should have taken a piece home with me ;) I'll just have to make them again or wait for you to make them and have a bit of yours! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, the hidden treasures of the white chocolate. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, so rich, I just stared at that cross section photo for a good minute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it looks really good... just wish I had a bite of it :)

      Delete
  12. OMG OMG OMG how DID i miss this post these brownies are EPIC!!! I love how rich they are hehe I can't wait to get some Hershey's chocolate and try this recipe out WOO HOO!

    Can't wait to participate in United Bakes of America hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks Daisy! These brownies were amazing I was told so yes do give them a try. United Bakes of America is a great challenge too - look forward to seeing what you make :)

      Delete
  13. These look great! There is a lot to do with marshmallow fluff! I ran out of it, but I wanted it for this recipe: http://www.cookiesleuth.com/2012/01/smores-cookie-sandwiches.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe. I've never been a fan of smores as I don't like marshmallow but I think I will give it a go!

      Delete
  14. Linda Flaherty28 July 2012 at 17:25

    This might be a dumb question, but is there anyway to convert this into United States measurements??? I would love to try this, but have no idea how to convert the measurements into US measurements?? Can anyone translate the measurements for me?? Thank you....Im a big fan in the United States. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the American conversion

      1 cup MINUS 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
      6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
      2 1/2 cups sugar
      1/2 tsp salt
      2 tsp pure vanilla extract
      4 large eggs, room temperature
      1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
      1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
      2 x 100g Hershey's cookie 'n creme bars

      Hope this helps! (I used less sugar than stated as I don't like them overly sweet so adjust accordingly!)

      Delete
  15. I am in the United States as well Linda and it took a bit of work but I converted this recipe into US measurements. I just made this brownie and am waiting for it to cool. It looks promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turned out well - do come back and let us know. Sorry I didn't get round to replying earlier with the conversions!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!