Thursday 3 May 2012

Shoe Cupcakes


Last weekend my friend and co-host of AlphaBakes Caroline from Caroline Makes celebrated her birthday. She decided to have a shoe themed birthday party asking guests to wear their favourite pair of shoes. Of course the best part of a birthday party is the cake!  She made a lovely 2 tiered pink polka dot shoe cake which was delicious. She also baked cupcakes, brownies and macarons. 


I offered to make some cakes (naturally) and suggested a shoe cupcake but had no idea how to go about making one. Caroline emailed me "Are these the sort of shoe cupcakes you meant? ... http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/fashionista-cupcake-alert-cupcake-high.html
It would be great if you wanted to make these :-) " 

I took one look at them and thought no way! But I really wanted to make them so I spent ages looking at the picture and thinking about how I can go about re-creating them. I think they turned out pretty good in the end - could be a lot tidier but I was in a hurry and it was my first time! The guests were suitably impressed which was good. These took a lot longer to make than I expected so I only ended up making 4 pairs of shoes. They are not difficult, just fiddly and time consuming! I've prepared a step by step photo post below if you want to give them a go yourself.


 I want to show you my new tea towel - I love it! :) 

 what you need to make the soles - rich tea fingers, white chocolate and chocolate fingers. You may of course use suitable alternatives. 

 First, trim the end of the rich tea fingers to create the shape of the sole as shown. You will also need to trim the chocolate finger depending on the height of your cupcake. Cut it at an angle as shown. 

 Dip the biscuit in melted white chocolate and place in the fridge/freezer to set. Do one side at a time. 

 Get out all your coloured sugars!

 Once you've dipped both sides of the biscuit, dip each edge and then roll in coloured sugar and allow to set. Dip the other edge and repeat. Finally cover the rounded end (front end)

 Stick the chocolate finger onto the back of your "sole" at an angle using more of the white chocolate. You may need something to support it whilst it's drying such as an empty cupcake case!

 I baked plain vanilla cupcakes but you can make any flavour you like. I also made vanilla buttercream frosting. 

 Spread lots of frosting on top ...

.. try to form a slight dome in the middle

 Roll in coloured sugar so the entire surface is covered. I found that the easiest way to do this was to hold the cupcake at an angle and roll it in the sugar

 Push the sole rounded end first into the edge of your prepared cupcake

 They really look like shoes!! 

Time for some decorations! I bought sets of tappits from Cake International and used ready rolled fondant to cut out shapes. 

 how cute is this? 

 I added a tiny bow at the back of the shoe as well. 

 The finished cupcakes which I'm pleased to say arrived in 1 piece! Which is your favourite?

I'm linking this up to Lets Bake Cupcakes and Muffins hosted by simply.food



31 comments:

  1. Such cute cupcakes/shoes! I love the tea towel, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ros! These are really amazing. They turned out great and I adore the fondant bows, especially that you put them at the back of the heels too! The red ones are definitely my favourite. I'm curious - what shoes did you wear to the party? what a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem. I tried my best - not perfect but I'm still proud of them! It was a very wet and rainy day! I wore some cute pinkish pumps I bought from Nine West in Las Vegas. One of the girls wore a red sparkly shoe exactly like my cupcake so I made her have the red one :)

      Delete
  3. what nice look like Cinderella shoes !lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What excellent cupcakes. They look amazing!! Fab idea. And they look so brilliant all stuffed in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm really impressed by both the effort you put into these, and the result. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really cute Ros, and the red are definitely my favourite. They are perfect for a girly birthday party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow! These shoe cupcakes are fabulous! I'm really impressed by this amazing idea! Great job, Ros! Lucky Caroline! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so pleased they turned out well :)

      Delete
  8. Wow these are so cute. Thanks for linking them to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww these are SO cute. Wonderful job dear. Absolutely adore them :D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were a real hit - Ros turned up with a huge box of cakes and had everyone crowding round to see what she had made! I'm really impressed at the way these turned out, thanks for making them for my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you liked them! It was a great party :)

      Delete
  11. Oh these are fabulous! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good idea, I'd love to have a go at these...they'd definitely be fabulous for a birthday!! Cake International looked good too...I went to the Birmingham one in November :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really cute and quite easy to make. I really want to go to Cake International again, it was so much fun!

      Delete
  13. They are brilliant! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute and creative! I'm stealing this idea for when my nieces visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure your nieces will be very impressed :)

      Delete
  15. Adorable cupcakes - loving the idea of the heels especially :D Wouldn't like to try and put my foot in one though... I think they're better reserved for the mouth :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL these heels are tasty and they won't hurt :)

      Delete
  16. How have I only just seen these cupcakes?! They're SO cool! Love :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad all my efforts paid off :)

      Delete
  17. OMG these are SO SO SO COOL :D and it's actually quite easy to make gonna make these sometime soon to way my shoe loving friends hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your friends will love it and they will love you too! :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!