Tuesday 8 May 2012

Jubilee mini cakes


Is everyone excited about the upcoming Jubilee celebrations? Who's going to a street party? How are you celebrating? I was out of the country last year during the Royal Wedding so I'm going to make up for it this year by getting stuck into some Jubilee baking (this is 1 of 3 that I've made so far) and may even get up to some Olympic baking later on! 

I was sent some lovely red, white and blue sugar strands by Just Bake which is a cool website for all your baking supplies. If you've not come across them before, do check them out as they have really nice stuff at a reasonable price. 

These cakes are really simple to make and will look impressive at a party. It's a basic vanilla sponge topped with fresh fruits, buttercream and sprinkles. I decided to make mini cakes as minis always look so much cuter! I also used my heart mould but the mini cakes looked much better! 

I'm entering these to the Blogging Baking Jubilee Competition hosted by Homemade by Fleur. The competition runs until 3rd June 2012 and the winner gets  £100 of Amazon vouchers, provided by Appliances Online. Join in the fun and get baking!




 Divide the cake batter evenly into 3 - 1 plain, 1 blue and 1 red

 Jubilee themed sprinkles from Just Bake

 Ready? Buttercream icing, 3 colours of cake, fresh blueberries, fresh raspberries, red white & blue sugar strands, Jubilee cupcake cases 

 Place one mini cake into a cupcake wrapper. Pipe a small star of buttercream on top. 

 Place fresh blueberries and raspberries on top - I used blueberries with the blue sponge an raspberries with the red sponge. 

 Add another layer of a different colour

 Pipe more buttercream on top and add a different fruit layer on top

Finish with a plain sponge topped with sprinkles






For the sponge

250g butter
250g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Red paste colouring
Blue paste colouring

For the buttercream


110g butter
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk

To decorate


Fresh blueberries
Fresh raspberries
Sprinkles


  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add in the eggs, one at a time.
  • Mix in the vanilla bean paste.
  • Sift in the flour and mix well. 
  • Divide the cake batter into 3 portions - I weighed them in ziplock bags.
  • Add blue paste colouring to one bag, red paste colouring to another bag and leave the third bag plain.
  • Pipe the batter into a mini cupcake mould and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
  • Make the buttercream by mixing all the ingredients together in an electric mixer. 
  • To assemble follow instructions that accompany the pictures above. 


Disclaimer: I was sent the sprinkles free of charge from Just Bake. I was not required to write about Just Bake or their products. All opinions expressed are my own. 


36 comments:

  1. These are fab for the jubilee. I love the inclusion of the fruit, and individual cakes are lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like the mini sizes and great for portion control if you don't scoff the whole lot! The fruits make 1 of 5 a day anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Oh these are amazing! I'm the most un-patriotic person in the world but these are winning me over! I'm defo not planning any celebrations for the Jubilee! and I made my mother in law cry last year when I announced that I wouldn't be watching the royal wedding! but I'm loving how these cakes could also be used for a 4th July party (I'm much more patriotic when it comes to America as you know! haha) and I really really want you to win because I just know you've already spent those £100 amazon vouchers in your head...and I know exactly which baking books you'll have picked out! hehe...and I agree - everything is better in mini form!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the colours are the same for UK and USA! You can definitely make these for 4th of July too. Thanks for your vote of confidence and yes you know me too well ha ha. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  3. absolutely nice and beauty, love these and love your molds!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These little cakes look very British and so cute! Hope that these cakes will win this competition. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these mini cakes, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these mini cakes. All the best for your competition dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look amazing, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet these aren't easy to eat without getting in a mess! I'm saving my Jubilee bake until the actual Jubilee, as it's my mum's birthday then as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't too messy actually. It was easy to eat layer by layer and they were small enough to fit in your mouth in 1 big bite! Look forward to seeing your Jubilee bake :)

      Delete
  9. oh wow I love these so cute and high, perfect for a street party. Love how blue they sponge is too, lovely.

    Nom! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Some of them were a little wobbly and looked more like the leaning tower of Pisa! I put quite a bit of colouring as I wanted a bright colour so I'm glad it worked :)

      Delete
  10. OH Wow! These are so amazing & love the way you've presented them! Love the colors that are really lovely & eye catching cupcakes! Wish you all the best for the competition, Ros! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! I was really pleased with how they turned out and they tasted good too :)

      Delete
  11. These are so cute - I've not decided on my jubilee bakes yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What brilliant bakes for the Jubilee celebration! Similar to Caked Crusader I'm pondering my Jubilee Bakes- so much baking to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

      Delete
  13. I still haven't decided what to bake for the Jubilee. Great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I have another one for later this week/next week!

      Delete
  14. Those are indeed the cutest cakes, perfect for the jubiilee. We are doing the jubilee for our next clandestine cake club, but I haven't figured out what I am baking yet, I had better get my skates on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get myself to a clandestine cake club! I just got an invitation to my street party today so I think I'll be making more of these soon :)

      Delete
  15. Hi BA, of course - I'd completely forgotten it was the jubilee celebration soon. Not something anyone will be holding festivities for in France alas, but street parties sound like a lot of fun :) I'm sure these cakes would go down a storm - they look fab, and fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to a street party so am looking forward to my first one. I just realised these colours would work for France too!

      Delete
  16. These are just perfect for the Jubilee. I love mini versions of things too. You can have more than one without feeling too guilty! Thanks so much for entering my Bloggers Jubilee Baking Competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini versions always look so cute! They are also great for portion control or if you want to try everything at the buffet table! Thanks for hosting a fab challenge!

      Delete
  17. Hahaha these are so CUTE :) and very patriotic in a very good way hehe even though I'm Australian i've always like the UK and always wanted to lived there and hahaha be able to celebrate more when it's the Queen's bday and Royal weddings and all that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy! They went down a treat :) It's not every year that we get a royal wedding or Queen's Jubilee!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!