Is everyone excited about the upcoming Jubilee celebrations? Who's going to a street party? How are you celebrating? I was out of the country last year during the Royal Wedding so I'm going to make up for it this year by getting stuck into some Jubilee baking (this is 1 of 3 that I've made so far) and may even get up to some Olympic baking later on!
I was sent some lovely red, white and blue sugar strands by Just Bake which is a cool website for all your baking supplies. If you've not come across them before, do check them out as they have really nice stuff at a reasonable price.
These cakes are really simple to make and will look impressive at a party. It's a basic vanilla sponge topped with fresh fruits, buttercream and sprinkles. I decided to make mini cakes as minis always look so much cuter! I also used my heart mould but the mini cakes looked much better!
Ready? Buttercream icing, 3 colours of cake, fresh blueberries, fresh raspberries, red white & blue sugar strands, Jubilee cupcake cases
Place fresh blueberries and raspberries on top - I used blueberries with the blue sponge an raspberries with the red sponge.
For the sponge
250g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Red paste colouring
Blue paste colouring
For the buttercream
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla bean paste.
- Sift in the flour and mix well.
- Divide the cake batter into 3 portions - I weighed them in ziplock bags.
- Add blue paste colouring to one bag, red paste colouring to another bag and leave the third bag plain.
- Pipe the batter into a mini cupcake mould and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Make the buttercream by mixing all the ingredients together in an electric mixer.
- To assemble follow instructions that accompany the pictures above.
Disclaimer: I was sent the sprinkles free of charge from Just Bake. I was not required to write about Just Bake or their products. All opinions expressed are my own.