Thursday 10 May 2012

Hamburger Cupcakes


This month's AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes is the letter 'H". If you don't already know, AlphaBakes is a monthly baking blogging challenge where we bake from a random letter each month. So far we have had L, M and B. For each of these letters, I could immediately think of a few things to bake but not this month! I came up with 2 ideas but wanted to challenge myself and make something slightly different. So I present you with H for Hamburger Cupcakes! Yes they look like hamburgers but are actually made from cake! Pretty cool, huh? 

I made a vanilla sponge for my 'burger buns' and a chocolate sponge for my 'burger meat'. I then coloured some leftover buttercream icing (from making my Jubilee mini cakes) red to look like ketchup and coloured dessicated coconut green to resemble lettuce. You can also make cheese and mustard if you like. 




 Vanilla cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, green dessicated coconut, red buttercream icing, toasted sesame seeds. 

 Slice each vanilla cupcake in half horizontally

 Slice the chocolate cupcakes horizontally and place one piece of top of the vanilla cupcake

 Add a blob of "ketchup" (red buttercream icing)

 add your "lettuce" (green dessicated coconut)

 Top with your "burger bun" (sliced vanilla cupcake) Lightly brush the tops with water and sprinkle sesame seeds on top

 What do you think? Is it  hamburger? Is it a cake? It's a hamburger cupcake!! 


As mentioned in my previous post, Homemade by Fleur is running a Blogging Baking Jubilee Competition until 3rd June 2012.  There is an awesome prize of £100 Amazon vouchers kindly provided by Appliances Online.  I think these mini hamburger cupcakes are perfect for any party especially a Jubilee street party so I'm entering these to the competition. I couldn't resist getting my little flags out to make them look more Jubilee themed :) 







I used my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe to make the buns. I decided to use Nigella's Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake for the "burger meat" as my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe involved separating the eggs and beating the whites separately. I was quite short on time and had enough washing up to do so I looked for another recipe. It's a really simple all in one recipe and as Nigella says "If you're going to get started, this is the cake you should begin with" It was a really moist and delicious chocolate cake - I'm glad I had extra to munch on :) As it's a Nigella recipe, I'm also entering this to Forever Nigella #15  as the theme this month is The Jubilee. Forever Nigella is run by Sarah from Maison Cupcake and hosted this month by Nelly's Cupcakes.


42 comments:

  1. Those are amazing! I love lookalike food. Always good to confuse the brain with conflicting information from eyes and tongue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain was very confused indeed as it expected savoury but it was sweet!

      Delete
  2. Very clever. You are on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun. I might get confused by these at a street party after a few refreshing, cold drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think I'd prefer these to the proper burgers :)

      Delete
  4. I love how creative these are! Upping the game :)

    Nom! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I still have half a box of precious Mint O's too! I am saving them as a uni friend of mine is coming to stay next weekend and we always used to make Mint Oreo shakes in halls so I think we'll have to do it again for old times sake! Wow - what a way to interpret H, I absolutely adore these hamburger cupcakes! I'm pretty sure this will have to be an original 'H' bake for sure! and look at that coconut lettuce...coconut is creeping into your blog more and more these days, I think we might just make a convert out of you after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well I have to tell you a secret - I made one without coconut for myself! Apparently it really enhances the flavour of the cake - everyone loved them! I still haven't decided what to do with my mint O's - milkshakes are a definite!

      Delete
  6. OMG OMG OMG you totally fooled me! I totally thought they were real savoury hamburgers hahhaa very smart on using the coconut as the lettuce hehe WOO HOO :) I'd love one of these right now hehe ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL they do look quite realistic don't they? My mum made them as well but hers looks much better than mine!

      Delete
  7. They are so cute! And I saw the picture first and thought that they were mini hamburgers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever entry. You have done a fab job on these cupcakes..urr..burgercakes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete
  9. Hi BA, lovely idea, using the plain and chocolate cakes like this - really great looking result - I bet they were fun to scoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to make and fun to eat! You can also make brownies for the "burger"

      Delete
  10. Amazing! I bet they would go down so well at a children's party instead of a birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It can also be made into a large cake which I'm sure the kids will also enjoy :)

      Delete
  11. These are great! Definitely our most novel entry for Alphabakes. They look very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, so clever and so cute. I love your little patriotic flags too.

    I've nominated you for a couple of blog awards. You can find out more through this post: http://whatdoyoumakeofmycake.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/awards-facts-and-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - I knew the flags would come in handy one day :) Thank you so much for the awards!!

      Delete
    2. How did you make the desiccated cocnut green? Did you just mix with a small amount of food colouring? I have a BBQ next weekend and thought these would be great to take along!

      Delete
    3. Jenny - I placed the dessicated coconut in a ziplock bag and added a small amount of green paste food colouring and gave the bag a good shake! I'm sure everyone will enjoy it at the BBQ.

      Delete
  13. These are fantastic. I'll have to make these for my kids, although they'll probably try to put ketchup on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it may confuse them to eat as you expect savoury but you get sweet :)

      Delete
  14. I love hamburger cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had them before but now I love them too :)

      Delete
  15. These are so cute! I will be posting my "H" entry next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Look forward to seeing your "H" entry :)

      Delete
  16. Ha! Love these - it's so creative! Bet they taste great, too! Lovely jubilee street party idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were quite tasty and disappeared quickly :)

      Delete
  17. These are great - I think it's the sesame seeds on the top of the bun that make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with you and they taste good too :)

      Delete
  18. My favourite ever burgers! What a great concept- and a real 'project bake'! Another super Jubilee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another fantastic idea, and I totally agree that these would look very cool indeed on any Jubilee street party table. Thanks for sending in another entry to my blogger's Jubilee baking competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and I'm glad you like these little burger cupcakes :)

      Delete
  20. Wow these are a brilliant idea! And so detailed too. Thanks for submitting them to Forever Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really pleased with how they turned out :)

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!