Monday 18 June 2012

Deep Dark Mocha Cupcakes


Earlier this year, I signed up for a gift subscription from Joy the Baker who writes a great blog. If you've never visited, I highly recommend a look - I've made quite a number of recipes from her blog and they've always turned out well. She started Enjoy! which she describes as "Every 3 months, one surprise package, with love from me to you"  How could I resist? She often gives a little clue as to what the gift might contain and as baking or kitchen was mentioned I signed up immediately :) 


 This is my lovely surprise package 

 Joy worked with King Arthur Flour to create this gift which contains Double Dutch Cocoa Powder, Instant Espresso Powder, Pure Chocolate Sprinkles, cute cupcake liners, and a hand-signed Mocha Chocolate Cupcake recipe from her.

I've been wanting to make these cupcakes for ages but somehow I kept baking other things due to demand or need. When Lucy of The KitchenMaid who is hosting this month's We Should Cocoa announced that the challenge this month is coffee I knew exactly what to bake. Plus it was a friend's birthday in June and I knew these would be the perfect gift for her. A win win situation :) 

We should Cocoa is a monthly blogging challenge started by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog and Chele from Chocolate Teapot. The idea is to make something with chocolate and a special ingredient chosen by the host each month. 



These are really deep, dark cupcakes as the name suggests. I was worried that they would be dry as they looked quite dense coming out of the oven but they were fairly moist. I think it's the amazing dutch cocoa powder that gives it the colour and flavour.  The espresso frosting is my favourite part - I could just eat it by the spoonful (which I didn't as there was barely enough frosting to pipe on the cupcakes as I went for a big blob of it!) If you like dark chocolate and coffee then this is definitely the cupcake for you! I'm so pleased with my little box of goodies and I can't wait to see what I get next month. Joy has hinted that "its a few treats that you'll get down with in the kitchen!"

I'm also sending these over to Cupcake Tuesday hosted by Liz from Hoosier Homemade. Check out her beer, cheese and bacon father's day cupcakes! 



 flour mixture + oil/buttermilk/vanilla

 look at the rich, dark colour 

 looks good... 

 ...even better with lots of frosting on top

 add a few chocolate sprinkles and a chocolate coated coffee bean


Recipe from Joy the Baker - reproduced with permission from the author
Makes 12 cupcakes

For the cupcake

280g flour
200g brown sugar
60g double dutch cocoa 
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the coffee buttercream

113g butter, softened
375g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon hot water
1 teaspoon instant espresso


Preheat the oven to 170C.
Line cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients and set aside.
Ina medium bowl (or jug), whisk together the oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients being careful not to over-mix.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cups and bake for 20 - 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and 1/3 of the sugar.
Beat until thick and incorporated.
In a tiny bowl, stir together vanilla, hot water and espresso powder.
Add the remaining sugar and espresso mixture to the bowl.
Beat on medium speed until smooth and slightly fluffy.
Spread on cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.


Disclaimer: I was not asked to provide a review of Enjoy! I paid for the subscription myself and received no compensation for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.

25 comments:

  1. I would love one of these cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I've never heard about this subscription! Can you still get it? I'm really interested!!! Would love to have all those goodies too and I love this recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    But where can you get Double Dutch chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a waiting list but click on the link and see. She posts internationally which is how I got mine :) I'm not sure where else you can get double dutch cocoa powder - it's the good stuff!!

      Delete
  3. oooh I'll be checking this out too, same for the double dutch chocolate? Love how high these came out :)

    Nom! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See above re double dutch cocoa. I have a whole bag so it should keep me going for a while :) I was impressed with the height of the cakes too :)

      Delete
  4. My birthday is this month too, Ros! I sure would love just one of those deep dark mocha cupcakes to celebrate. They look so darn yummy!!! Love Jamie's site btw:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    P.S. We're playing the Picnic Game over at my blog. You're more than welcome to join in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Louise! I'll send one over for you :) Thanks for the invite to the Picnic game but I'm on holiday next week so won't have time to play - looks fun though!

      Delete
  5. These look seriously decadent!!! They certainly look deep and dark too...that's one mean and moody cupcake...I bet it tastes amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite decadent indeed and definitely tasted good :)

      Delete
  6. wow what a lovely idea. These cupcakes look amazing and i bet they smell amazing to x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look very tasty! Love all the frosting on each one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fabulous - I really love that icing! Now to work on liking coffee..... d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily omit the coffee from the recipe. I'm thinking of adding a bit more next time :)

      Delete
  9. I love coffee and chocolate combo! These cupcakes are for me :) Love it! I need to check out Enjoy! It sounds like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are really good and have all been eaten :)

      Delete
  10. These turned out so beautiful - and I'm a big fan of chocolate with cocoa. Even since I was little, I would always add a little instant coffee to my hot chocolate to make it taste richer. So I love where this recipe went with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!I love the chocolate and coffee combination in desserts and these cupcakes really hit the spot! I'll have to try adding the instant espresso to my hot chocolate next time :)

      Delete
  11. Those look incredibly rich BA - lovely and dark, and perfectly piped frosting too - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charles - they were deep and dark and delicious! :)

      Delete
  12. LOVELY deep dark and decadent cakes! FABULOUS! And the piping is STUNNING! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! The piping is inconsistent but I do like the big star on top :)

      Delete
  13. Oh what fun to be receiving baking gifts from the US and what a lovely parcel. Your cupcakes look great and I'm with Karen, your piping is STUNNING. Thanks for sharing these with WSC :)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!