Saturday 23 June 2012

Malted Chocolate Cake



It's Random Recipe time again! Dom from Belleau kitchen hosts this fabulous monthly challenge which I really enjoy as it gives me the opportunity to use my ever growing pile of books. The last challenge, we had to make the first and/or last recipe from our random book. It therefore follows that this month's challenge is to bake the recipe in the middle. I used a random number generator to select my book which is Make, bake & celebrate! by Annie Rigg. I have a few other Annie Rigg books so I was really excited to find out what I would be baking.



The book has 128 pages in total including the index so that means the recipe on page 64 is my random recipe and here it is....


 this is page 64, recipe is on page 65 which is Malted chocolate cake.

Hurrah! Love malted chocolate cake and this looks like such a pretty cake. It looks quite fancy and I started thinking if I could make this for a special occasion. As luck would have it, there was a round robin email at work later that week announcing a surprise birthday party for a colleague as it's her special birthday. Unfortunately, I couldn't go as I'd already made other plans but I immediately asked if I could bake a cake for the occasion and was met with a very enthusiastic yes especially when I mentioned the cake I had in mind :)

The only downside to this is that I did not get a chance to taste the cake as it would have been rude to present a birthday cake minus one slice!! I did get to try the frosting as there was some left over and it was delicious!! I'm just going to have to make this again so I can actually try it :) 

 I used ovaltine as my malt powder as that was all I had in my cupboard. I usually have a bag or two of maltesers so no shopping required! 

 3 layer cake - butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, malt powder

 chopped dark and milk chocolate for the frosting 

 cook double cream+malt powder+golden syrup until just boiling and pour on to the chocolate. 

 Add in butter, a little at a time and keep stirring to make a delicious chocolate malt frosting. 

 bottom layer 

 cover with frosting 



 sprinkle crushed maltesers on top and add second layer of cake 

 cover with more frosting and repeat for the next layer 


 frost the sides as well 

 My extremely shaky writing!! The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the frosting is not smooth - I started writing her name but ran out of space (it won't fit) so I had to scrape it off and smooth some frosting and the covered it with lots of stars!  

 pipe small dots of frosting on the edge and on top of the cake between the maltesers. 


Addendum 24/6/12


I've just realised that 2 of the bloggers I regularly follow celebrated their birthday on Friday 22nd June So a special mention to:
Gem from Cupcake Crazy Gem
Louise from Months of Edible Celebrations

Happy Birthday to Gem and Louise - this cake is for you to share :)

45 comments:

  1. Wow, that cake looks evilly good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a great cake. The person who received it as their birthday cake was so lucky!! I am a big a fan malt flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love malt flavours too especially when paired with chocolate.

      Delete
  3. This looks really delicious. Everyone in your office must've loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they enjoyed it at the party - I didn't get to go and haven't seen the birthday girl since.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really chocolatey and delectable cake! Love maltesers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and maltesers go well together :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wish I could have had a slice :)

      Delete
  7. Ooooo this looks seriously good...who couldn't love this one!!! Malteasers were one of my favourite chocolates too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maltesers are great! Chocolate malt cake is even better :)

      Delete
  8. That is so heavenly. I have always adored Maltesers and bet this cake will be an absolute winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love Maltesers in cake and on its own :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a triumph! Great recipe and beautifully presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! My cake does not look as good as the picture but I'm proud of it :)

      Delete
  10. I can't believe you didn't get to try it!! You must have been so gutted! Lucky colleague to get this from you!! I love malt but have never used it in a sponge before although I can totally see how fab this would be. What a triumph! Great random recipe. Lucky you! Thanks so much for the entry and the lovely kind words you left on my blog this week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really tempted to cut a slice out!! I've made chocolate malt cakes previously and they are delicious! Not made one with buttermilk though which is in this recipe. I know cake is not the cure for everything but I hope this brought a smile to your face in sad times xx

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a fabulous cake !! It looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That frosting sounds unbelievably good! And I'm practically drooling at the thought of crushed maltesers between each layer. Such a shame you didn't get to try a piece. You'll have to make another one all for yourself next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really will have to make one for me. The frosting was seriously good - I ended up eating all the leftovers! oops :)

      Delete
  13. What a fun cake. You had me at malt balls.. of course we called them moth balls growing up. We didn't quite see a difference-well in taste, yes. thanks for the memories.. and how to repurpose into a 2012 cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and malt are a great combination! Hope you get to make something similar :)

      Delete
  14. Looks fabulous. Malteser/malted chocolate cake has been on my 'to do' list for a very long time. I like Annie Rigg books but haven't got this one.... yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chocolate malt cakes! This book is brilliant for special occasions - would recommend it :)

      Delete
  15. Oh, how fantastic is that Ros. I think this might just be my favourite cake ever. At least I'm assuming it would be if I got to try it. You are so good doing that and not being able to have a piece. This, or something like it is going on my to make list right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have tasted a slice - all the more reason to make it again :) I love chocolate and malt!

      Delete
  16. This looks scrumptious!! Malted cake.. its like one big malteser! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that looks incredible! What a shame you couldn't taste a slice! A good excuse to make another one... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told it was delicious but yes I will have to try it for myself :)

      Delete
  18. Maltesers are THE best cake decoration, aren't they? Lovely looking cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. I sprayed them gold once :)

      Delete
  19. Well you can make my Birthday cake as I never get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww.. I'd happily make you one. A large proportion of bakes here are for birthdays!

      Delete
  20. Ah gee, Ros! Thank you. I would absolutely love this cake that is for sure!!! Now I've had two cakes for my birthday and I've loved them both!!! Thank you:)

    P.S. I'm off to send you your Picnic letters right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like the cake Louise! Picnic treats to be revealed tomorrow :)

      Delete
  21. So much chocolate-y goodness going on in there! I love malt flavoured things! Sorry I didn't get around to entering Alphabakes this month - I had these Venezuelan coconut cookies I was going to bake, but it's been the craziest month with moving and job interviews and I just never got around to it! but with the bake being coconut you probably don't mind so much! hehe! Thanks for entering UBA! will definitely be baking along with you guys next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like malt chocolate and it looks like you had a great birthday! Don't worry about AlphaBakes - you have far more important things to worry about! And you know how I feel about coconut ;-) They sound amazing though! Let's see what Caroline has in store for us in July :)

      Delete
  22. I could never refuse a piece of cake that involves Maltesers. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love maltesers too and have baked with them quite a few times :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  23. I gotta try this cake! I love Maltesers and Ovaltine! Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told that it was delicious!! I'll have to try it myself again as I didn't get a taste of this one.

      Delete
  24. Beautiful!
    You're deliveries via Joanne are the reason I continue to work in this team. They're always worth waiting for.
    There's one slice left (which we've been told to save for the boss), but as soon as I've finished this post, it's mine! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!