Monday 16 June 2014

Mixed Fruit Muesli Slice




This month Random Recipes hosted by the dashing Dom from Belleau Kitchen is 40. So he's asked us to choose our 40th book and turn to page 40. I dutifully counted along my bookshelf and No 40 is....

The Australian Women's Weekly Little Squares & Slices. I've not actually made anything from this book yet so I was really pleased that I finally had a chance. With a little trepidation as you just never know what you'll get with random recipes, I turned to page 40 and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Tropical Muesli Slice. I did not have any dried tropical fruit so I used mixed dried fruit, dried cranberries and a handful of dried pineapple slices that I had leftover from something else. It's a really simple recipe but I still managed to burn mine as I left it in the oven for too long! Fortunately, it still tasted good and was devoured heartily at work this morning. Everyone actually quite liked the burnt bits and it was extremely more-ish. It's highly addictive and the recipe is so versatile as you can use any dried fruit/nut or chocolate. 




 oats, self raising flour, dried cranberries, dried pineapple slices, mixed dried fruit, brown sugar, honey, butter 


 slightly burnt but still delicious! 

125g butter
75g soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
135g rolled oats
75g self raising flour
250g mixed dried fruit including dried cranberries (alternatively you can use a tropical mix as suggested in the original recipe - 225g sliced, dried tropical fruit and 25g dessicated coconut)
  • Preheat the oven to 160C.
  • Melt butter, sugar and honey in a medium sized saucepan. 
  • Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. 
  • Press firmly into a square baking tray and bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
  • Allow to cool completely before slicing



10 comments:

  1. I don't know what's up with me recently but I've been burning things a lot too. No idea? Glad it still tasted ok and happy you got to cook from that book. Thanks so much for the random recipes entry. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was definitely my fault - should have kept a closer eye on the oven but fortunately it was still edible!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely simple but delicious recipe to pick. Glad the burn worked out OK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it did too as I was worried it was all going in the bin!

      Delete
  3. Made this but replaced one tablespoon of Honey with a tablespoon of Golden Syrup. YOWSER!! Delicious. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Must try it with golden syrup next time.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a perfect recipe for a mid-morning snack in the office. I'm not surprised it got devoured heartily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make this again and make sure I don't burn it this time!!

      Delete
  5. SHANTI'S is a Best Food Manufacturing Company in India . Our range of products includes instant food mixes & desserts and a wide range of confectionery products. Quality products at the right price have always been our motive, and that it is plain that this thinking has taken our company to newer heights. Our range of products is widely accepted in the market for its wonderful smell and mouth-watering taste.


    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!