Wednesday 4 June 2014

Orange Marmalade Jubilee Bundt Cake


I probably have too many cake tins but I just couldn't resist buying this Nordicware Jubilee Bundt tin to add to my collection. I've had my eye on it for a while and when it was on a special offer I decided it was a sign and I just had to buy it. I have quite a few of their Bundt tins and the cakes always turn out beautifully. The tins are well designed, solid and non stick if you spray it liberally with cake release spray before baking. 

The recipe on the back of the tin was for this orange marmalade cake so I gave it a go but added in an extra layer of marmalade in the middle of the cake. The result was an absolutely stunning cake in appearance and absolutely phenomenal in taste. It was light, bright and refreshing and the marmalade glaze was divine. I think the extra layer of marmalade in the middle of the cake added more flavour and moisture to the cake. 




 You have to rub the orange zest into the sugar which intensifies the orange flavour

 my beautiful bundt tin

 half fill the bundt tin 

 add a layer of marmalade 

 fill with the rest of the cake batter

 making the marmalade and orange glaze

 how pretty is that? 


 view from the top 




Recipe adapted from Nordicware

For the cake
375g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
350g caster sugar
zest of 2 oranges
225g butter
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
4 eggs
1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice

For the glaze 
1/2 cup marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice

  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Measure out the sugar in a large bowl and add the orange zest to the sugar. Gently rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers - this helps to release the oils and creates a more intense orange flavour. 
  • Cream the butter with the orange sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. 
  • Combine the buttermilk and orange juice in a jug.
  • Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
  • Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients and mix well. 
  • Pour half the batter into the cake tin.
  • Add a layer of marmalade as shown -make sure you don't touch the edges as the marmalade will burn.
  • Cover with the remaining cake batter.
  • Bake for approximately 60 -70 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Make the glaze by heating the marmalade and orange juice in a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir frequently until you get a thick, sticky glaze. 
  • Pour the glaze on the cake before serving. 

16 comments:

  1. This bundt looks absolutely beautiful Ros! Sunshine in a cake :) I'll have to give my bundt tin another go now that I'm armed with cake release spray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cake. That tin was definitely worth buying! I love how you get little 'pools' on the side of the sponge to catch the glaze......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am so pleased I bought this tin and am thinking of other recipes to try :)

      Delete
  3. This bundt tin makes stunning cakes - I'm sure you'll be glad you added it to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an absolutely beautiful looking cake and I do love a marmalade sponge. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really amazing cake!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks wonderful and marmalade always cheers me up. Paddington would love it. Not sure I understand the concept of "too many cake tins" though. Surely that's not possible. Well, unless you can no longer open the kitchen door due to the piles of cake tins, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha on reflection yes "too many cake tins" is probably not in my vocabulary!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely cake and worthy of the tin! I love that tin - I have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have serious tin envy!! The cake looks so beautiful and glossy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really beautiful tin and well worth investing in!

      Delete
  9. Just made your Mixed Fruit Muesli Slice recipe , i substituted one spoon of honey for one spoon golden syrup. was amazing. I found a tin like this recently at a local car boot sale and purchased it for a few pennies. As I have the tin I may as well give this recipe a go now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bargain! Do let me know how you get on with this cake. Really pleased you like the muesli slice.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!