Monday 23 June 2014

SRC: Cranberry Cornbread


It's the fourth Monday of the month which means that it's Secret Recipe Club Group D Reveal day! I love the Secret Recipe Club and look forward to reveal day every month. The concept is simple each blog is assigned another blog in secret and the idea is that you choose a recipe to make from your secret blog and reveal it on the same day. 

My assignment this month is Fried Ice and Donut Holes written by Melissa who is a teacher by profession. She loves to cook and bake and started her blog back in 2009. The story behind the name of her blog comes from her grandpa telling them to behave or they would have fried ice and donut holes aka nothing for dinner! 

She has a lovely blog full of wonderful recipes so do head on over to say hi and to check them out. I shortlisted a few recipes to make including Citrus Kissed Honey Buttons, Peanut Butter Bars, Salted Caramel Cashew Bark and Irish Coffee Cupcakes. In the end I decided on this Cranberry Cornbread as it sounded really interesting and look really tasty. 

It's a really simple recipe and the results were amazing. I love the coarse texture of the polenta and the sweetness of the cranberries. I usually think of cornbread as savoury so it was good to try a sweet version. Everyone at work really enjoyed it as it was different to normal cake and it felt quite healthy to eat! 



 buttermilk, sugar, flour, polenta, dried cranberries, eggs, butter 

 wet ingredients and dry ingredients 

 stir in dried cranberries

 ready to bake 

 love the golden colour 


Recipe from Fried Ice and Donut Holes

70g butter, melted
250mls (1 cup) buttermilk
225g polenta or cornmeal
85g flour
110g sugar
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
170g dried cranberries
  • Preheat the oven to 170C.
  • Whisk the butter, eggs and buttermilk in a bowl. 
  • Mix the polenta, flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in another bowl.
  • Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
  • Stir in the dried cranberries. 
  • Pour into a cake tin (I used a 23cm round cake tin but you can also use a square tin) and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. 



21 comments:

  1. Look delicious I love cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I love polenta cake, and I'm loving the sound of one with cranberries in it. Delicious.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already thinking Thanksgiving! Love this idea! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea - didn't think of that. Definitely making it again for thanksgiving and christmas then.

      Delete
  4. What a delicious combination - great choice this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great combination of ingredients, love the use of cranberries... to me they make any recipe turn into a festive occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not really thought about that but it's true! I'm definitely making this again for the festive season.

      Delete
  6. I love all the cornbread dishes this month! I've added strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries to cornbread, and now I need to do cranberries. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try it with other berries as the cranberries worked so well.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed this cornbread! Is that a giant cupcake liner that you have in your cake pan in that picture? That is amazing! I've never seen such thing, but I bet it makes removing cakes a breeze! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved reading through your blog. It's a large cake liner and is a real life saver, definitely worth the expense!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh... I've never thought of using polenta in cornbread... how interesting!! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful combination that I never would have thought of Ros!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never have thought of it too and it worked beautifully :)

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful dish! This looks amazing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Polenta cake makes a lovely change. The cranberries are a lovely addition. It looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty and I loved the crunch of the polenta.

      Delete
  12. The cranberries are such a smart addition. Polenta - a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!